Too much stuff in your small space?
This episode is for you! Join me as I chat with professional organizer and NYC resident Sharona Balk aka The Organizer Bunny about her tips for decluttering and organizing your small spaces. And controlling all the stuff that comes in.
One thing I’ve discovered in my 10 years as a professional organizer is that small is a relative term. Some people think small is 500 square feet. Others may think 4,000 square feet is a small space. Regardless of your definition, we have great tips to help you declutter, organize, and maintain your small space.
Born and raised in the Midwest, Sharona, aka The Organizer Bunny, nurtured an early affinity for tidiness and organization as a young child and never looked back! She loves organizing for clients because she enjoys meeting all kinds of people and working to help them feel better within their personal and professional environments.
SHARONA’S TIPS FOR ORGANIZING SMALL SPACES
- Adjust your mindset…Know this is the space you HAVE and you need to LIVE within this amount of space.
- Learn to use spaces creatively…Use products like plastic drawers, wall hooks, and wall shelves to help create storage where there isn’t storage. (See links to Sharona’s suggestions below.)
- Use items as décor…If you have gorgeous handbags and shoes or adorable toys, or even great dishes or kitchen items, make storing them part of your décor.
- Be intentional and selective…Decide if you have a need or use for the item before you even let it cross the threshold of your home.
- Be mindful with purchases…Think if you have a place to store things or if you have another item that is similar.
- It’s easy to replace an item…It is so important to edit fiercely when you are living in a small. Remember the Minimalist’s 30-30-30 rule. If you can replace something within 30 miles in less than 30 minutes for under $30, let it go.
- Don’t forget maintenance…Make a regular habit of going through your small spaces and re-evaluating what you need, use or love.
PRODUCTS FOR ORGANIZING SMALL SPACES
- Sterilite Plastic Storage Drawer (2 Pack)
- Floating Wall Shelves (Set of 3)
- Self Adhesive Hooks for Purses
CONNECT WITH SHARONA
And here’s Sharona’s suggested cocktail: the Girl Scout Cookie Shot.
Girl Scout Cookie Shot
A smooth, creamy, and easily drinkable shot with the flavors of a Thin Mint Cookie
- 1/2 oz Coffee Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Peppermint Schnapps
Combine liqueurs and schnapps in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake to chill.
Strain into shot glass. Enjoy!
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.