Do the words “capsule wardrobes” make you run and hide in your closet?
What if capsule wardrobes could help you love getting dressed? Or look and feel good in every item of clothing you own? Or put outfits together in a breeze? That is exactly what today’s podcast guest helps you do.
This week I chat with Color Guru Jeannie Stith-Mawhinney. Jeannie became as a certified life coach since 2011 and started her color and wardrobe analysis business in 2017.
Color has the power to bring out the best in everyone.
Without changing a thing about yourself, you can take your natural beauty up a few notches simply by knowing and wearing certain shades.Jeannie Stith-Mawhinney
Jeannie shares her definition of a capsule wardrobe and why less is more when it comes to dressing. It’s really about finding the colors, fits and styles that make you feel most confident and beautiful.
JEANNIE’S TIPS FOR SUMMER CAPSULE WARDROBES
- Firstly, if you want to try capsule wardrobes, you don’t have to use numbers as your guide. Try using hanging space and drawer space. If the drawer is full or hangers are gone, you need to pare down to make it fit.
- Knowing your best colors is a crucial first step to creating a wardrobe you love to wear. Awareness of the color palate that works best with your skin tone, hair color and eye color helps you build a wardrobe of items that will make you look fantastic. Therefore you can dress well with little effort.
- Knowing your colors also makes shopping easier because you know that any item whose color is not on the palate is not going to be right for you. Immediately cuts down your decisions while shopping.
- Jeannie says if you have an item in your wardrobe that still has the tags after some time, chances are its one of 3 things. It’s not your color. It’s not your shape. Or it doesn’t fit you style wise. And that’s why you haven’t worn it.
- When it comes to trendy styles for summer, look for a version that suits your body type. If there is neck line or hem length on another garment that you like, look for those characteristics in the pieces. For instance, if you love the look of a halter, look for trendy pieces with that neckline.
- When it comes to lists of “must have items” for you closet, Jeannie recommends you stay true to yourself. Instead of investing in what some person you’ve never met thinks you should have, research online or consult a wardrobe professional to help you narrow down your color palate, body type and personal style.
- Finally, cater your wardrobe to what looks best on you and what you want to say to the world through your clothes, not what some arbitrary list says. The money you invest in determining what will make you look your best will pay dividends when you have a wardrobe that your actually want to wear.
Want to learn more about Jeannie’s color and wardrobe services? You can connect with her at the links below.
CONNECT WITH JEANNIE
Cocktails don't get much easier or delicious than this.
- 2 1/2 oz Gin
- 1/2 oz Fresh or Rose's Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- Lime Wheel (Optional, Garnish)
Mix all ingredients in cocktail shaker over ice.
Strain into chilled coupe or pour over ice in old fashioned glass.
Garnish with lime wheel.
New episodes of “Cocktails and Containers” are available every week.
You can find past episodes “Cocktails and Containers” here.